Saturday, 11 August 2012

Glitch Blog Tour



The Glitch Blog Tour hosted by the lovely Shane at itching for books today stops here!!!

Synopsis

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

Review

Zoe lives in a world where reality is filtered through a set of dimmed senses. A V-chip inserted at the back of the neck, subjects the brain to the Link that descends permanently upon the mind like fog, clouding and numbing everything.
Except for the few who glitch. A moment where the mist thins and disappears, and the senses are flooded with colours, smells, textures and above all emotions. Feelings that have never been experienced and that books don't mention, expressions of the mind that the glitching subjects of the Community can't even name.

When we first meet Zoe she has not been glitching long and her moments of clarity leave her reeling. Assaulted by all of her senses, her mind, thoughts and emotions she has little room and time to understand what is happening to her.
Initially Zoe lives in essentially 2 parts of her mind. One where the Link's unequivocal logic leads her to the conclusion that she is  broken and a danger to the Community, and should therefore report herself to the Regulators to be fixed. The other tells her that the Link is the threat to her true self and the true world surrounding her, one comprised of sound, colour and feelings. Heather Anastasiu's narrative style beautifully depicted Zoe's state of mind, allowing me to fully comprehend what was happening and how the character was beginning to feel.

Having come to grips with the dystopian future, ruled by a technological society that suppresses emotion to maintain order, Heather Anastasiu proceeded to teach her characters what humanity and emotions were, and what they could do.
Watching Zoe's innocence about both realities, the one she thought was true and the one she has never known, become tainted by the faults and beauties of human feelings was heart renderingly sweet and an eye opener at the same time. Stumbling like a newborn foal into an unsteady world made me appreciate the beauty of the basic simplicity of the complexities of the emotions that rule our lives and decisions.

 Observing her learn about hate for those that imprisoned her mind and those of her friends, smile and laugh for the first time at a not-very-funny joke and revel in the sound of it, feel a chill like sensation run down her spine as she experiences fear and terror when the lives and minds of those she cares about are at stake; and learn to name that warm fuzzy feeling, that blooms and radiates in her chest and reaches the tips of her fingers and toes, as love was a story that I truly enjoyed and will be reading again.

Although the story is mainly focused on Zoe and her journey to learning about the unveiled world before her, she is not alone. She encounters several glitchers who teach her what they have learnt so far. As the learn together, make mistakes, become angry, jealous and fall in love, Heather Anastasiu covers a whole rainbow of feelings and thoughts. It is only when she starts to be able to name and recognise what she is feeling and thinking, that she can differentiate between what she feels for Maximin and Adrien. But more importantly she begins to realise the magnitude of what has been done to her and the whole population, and what the Community will do to her if they are discovered.

Glitch was an absolutely great debut novel that I thoroughly enjoyed. Heather Anastasiu almost made me forget what I knew and learn and experience everything again through Zoe's eyes and mind. The plot twisted in ways that I didn't expect and that I only came to vaguely guess towards the very end. With an easygoing and yet steady pace, this is without a doubt a very promising start to a great series.


Get a taste of the technological dystopian future our world has been plunged into with this
Excerpt:

"My eyes flickered uneasily to the Regulators standing near the back columns. The girl hopped around with exaggerated motions, giggling whenever her feet hit the concrete. Her actions looked completely out of sync with her tiny starched grey suit. The sound of her feet and laugh echoed throughout the tunnel. I tried to memorize her features to draw later. She was so beautiful, so alive. Watching her made me feel light inside.
The learning texts referred to the Old World emotions as childish. Glitching happened time to time with children because the V-chip hardware couldn't always keep up with their rapid development. It was difficult to accomplish complete control. Too much V-chip control and the brain wouldn't develop into adulthood correctly. Simply downloading information had turned subjects into vegetables - they'd been forced to deactivate them. The human neurons needed to stay active or the brain deteriorated. That was why we still had to go to the Academy until we were ready for labor at eighteen. Then we got our final, adult V-chip, the chip that would control us and protect us from glitches for the rest of our adult lives.
The rumble of the train in the distance made everyone stand up straighter, more alert. I glanced at the clock on the wall and tried to move unobtrusively toward the front of the crowd. I'd be late for school if I didn't catch this train. I couldn't risk any anomalous behaviour, anything to bring more attention to me. I accidentally bumped a man in the shoulder and he looked at me with too much interest. I slowed and made my face blank- nothing anomalous here, just a normal subject waiting for a train. He paused, hesitating, then looked away.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the little blond girl still bouncing around as the train neared. Her mother motioned with her hand for the girl to come. When she didn't respond, the woman called her name.
I couldn't hear the mother's voice over the roar of the approaching train, and apparently, the girl couldn't either. She kept dancing. She was very close to the edge of the platform. Too close. I risked another glance at the nearby Regulators, but they hadn't moved. They weren't programmed to prevent accidents, and glitching children did not pose immediate grounds for removal. I looked back at the girl, a frantic feeling growing in my chest. She twirled closer to the ledge, arms out and eyes closed.
The train came around the corner. The mother reached out and almost managed to grasp the girl's little jacket. But the girl hopped just out of reach and landed with one foot off the platform.
She toppled backwards towards the tracks below, no fear on her face, still that clueless little smile. 
"No" I screamed, reaching my hand out involuntarily. Her mother reacted as well, but too slowly. The train noise was deafening, drowning out my scream.
And that's when I did it - the thing I swore I'd never do again, the secret I kept trying so desperately to deny existed."


Would you like to find out more?

Then try entering this giveaway for a chance to win this gripping dystopian debut novel!



a Rafflecopter giveaway



A big thank you to Heather Anastasiu for introducing me to this world! I will be awaiting the sequel in this series!




6 comments:

  1. Great review! I love the look of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review. Glad you liked it.

    Thank you for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the concept and except. I think I can get along with Heather Anastasiu's writing style. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful review for what sound like a fantastic dystopian.
    I've checked out the trailer on you tube and based on that and this review I HAVE to add this book to my TBR pile

    ReplyDelete
  5. WONDEFUL review my beautiful nerd friend! *high five* I really like the sound of the book and the fact that the author used emotions to create her world. Definitely want to read this one! Thanks Pru for another great recommendation ;) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing Evaluation. Grateful I really like the look of this book! Thank you for participating! I like the idea and I think I can get along with Anastasiu's way of composing. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete